Re: bug#10522: Patch: Improve optional variable and keyword notation in

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: bug#10522: Patch: Improve optional variable and keyword notation in manual
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 20:36:24 +0100

Hi Bake,

On Fri 03 Feb 2012 14:28, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Bake,
>
> This patch looks great.  I do have a couple of comments before
> applying.  It would probably be useful to have input from others as
> well, so I'm copying guile-devel.
>
> On Mon 16 Jan 2012 20:46, Bake Timmons <address@hidden> writes:
>> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} resolve-module name [autoload=#t]
>> [version=#f] [#:ensure=#t]
>> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} resolve-module name [autoload=#t
>> [version=#f]] @
>> +                          [#:ensure ensure=#t]
>
> Nesting the optional arguments in brackets can get a bit ugly.  It is
> precise but verbose.  But I suppose we should not encourage interfaces
> with many optional arguments, so perhaps it is a moot point.
>
> Also, it seems pedantic to repeat the keyword arguments (once as
> keyword, once as identifier).  Surely #:foo=bar is unambiguous?

A year later, I pushed a version of your patch that doesn't nest
optional arguments or duplicate the keyword argument names, but it does
apply the other changes (and it makes keyword argument notation more
consistent).  Thanks for the patch, and looking forward to more of them
:)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/