always O_BINARY?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: always O_BINARY?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:39:47 +0100

Hi,

Just thinking aloud here -- Windows has this O_BINARY thing that
translates CRLF to LF when reading, and LF to CRLF when writing.  It
seems to me to be a useless thing.  We already have our own i/o
abstractions and should deal with CRLF vs LF in Scheme, I think:

  The (newline) function can write CRLF
  The ~% format directive should DTRT
  read-line should DTRT

And since all of our hackers have been on POSIX systems, we're used to
there being no O_BINARY/O_TEXT distinction.

So, what do you think about always adding O_BINARY to files that Guile
opens?

Regards,

Andy
--