Re: Precedence for reader extensions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Precedence for reader extensions
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:21:15 +0100

Hi!

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> skribis:

> The API you suggest would compose much easier, but to me it feels like
> just another specialized solution.  What we would really need is
> something like Ludovic's guile-reader.

In general, I think it should be easy to create new readers that derive
from the standard syntax without having to write them from scratch.

However, in hindsight, I’m not sure Guile-Reader’s API is the right
approach.  It’s an improvement, because it addresses this need; but its
API is not ideal: “token readers” with different delimiter syntax don’t
compose well, for instance.

> But I won't be stubborn regarding this.  If someone else wants to
> implement another way of supporting #!optional and #!rest that is fine
> by me.  I regard my diff simply as a bug fix and cleanup (removing
> unreachable code).

This is basically DSSSL keyword syntax.  What about adding a new keyword
style to read.c?  Sounds like the easiest solution for this particular
problem.

Ludo’.