Re: CPS Update

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: CPS Update
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:29:11 -0500

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden> wrote:
Isn't the primitiveness decided by tree-il? you wil get a (<primcall>
...) tree il element and then should know how to emit a
corresponding primitive instruction(s).

Oh, you're right. I was thinking about that because I don't run the Tree-IL optimizers when I test it, so I don't get any Tree-IL primitives. Eventually maybe the primitive generation should happen in CPS, but I don't think it has to happen all at once.

Anyway I think that your
conclusion is right, it would not make sense to support overwriting
these primitives dynamically, but

scheme@(guile-user)> (set! + (lambda x (apply * x)))
scheme@(guile-user)> (+ 2 3)
$1 = 6
scheme@(guile-user)> (define (f x y) (+ x y))
scheme@(guile-user)> ,x f
Disassembly of #<procedure f (x y)>:

   0    (assert-nargs-ee/locals 2)      ;; 2 args, 0 locals
   2    (local-ref 0)                   ;; `x'
   4    (local-ref 1)                   ;; `y'
   6    (add)
   7    (return)

So things are not consistent!

Good example! This looks like a bug to me. I think I read that loading GOOPS turns things like '+ into generic operations - that might be a case where this matters a lot.

I have thought a bit about how to fix this. The module system already allows us to be notified whenever a variable changes, so it would be easy to watch all of the variables in (guile) and recompile procedures when they change. I might take a look at this soon.

BTW
If you like I could work on getting define* and lambda* to work, I
have that code in my branch and should be able
to make it work on your branch as well. WDYT?

Thanks, but I haven't even gotten far enough to think about this. I'm still working on getting all of the basic features going. After that I would definitely like define* and lambda*.

Noah

/Stefan