Re: About Guile crypto support

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: About Guile crypto support
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:48:28 +0100

Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 00:03 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> We probably don’t want Guile to depend on libgcrypt.
>>

> No, I didn't mean to use libgcrypt directly, I just suggested reuse part
> of libgcrypt code(only the common digest algorithm) and make wrapper,
> then put the C code in libguile.

[...]

> The gcrypt-guile project is doing so, I'll help it if I can.
> But my original thought is orthogonal with gcrypt-guile, just put some
> common digest algorithm in libguile rather than a full-stack crypto-lib.

We could actually use the Gnulib crypto modules.  There’s a
duplication/convenience trade-off: we’d provide useful functionality by
default, at the expense of duplicating C code in our tarballs (2500 SLOC
for Gnulib’s sha*.[ch] and md5.[ch].)

Opinions?

I think I’d be more inclined to have good bindings in libgcrypt proper,
but I’d like to hear what others think.

Ludo’.