Re: bug#13342: Errors trying to build Guile 2.0.7

From: Peter Teeson
Subject: Re: bug#13342: Errors trying to build Guile 2.0.7
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:18:01 -0500

Hi Andy:
Thanks for your patient help. GNU make and friends is entirely new to me at the
detail level.
I did the following (starting from scratch):

(0) Starting with the guile-2.0.7 tar ball
 ./configure && make && make check

This used gcc and had 77 warnings and 1 test failure

bad return from expression `(f-sum -1 2000 -30000 40000000000)': expected
39999971999; got 39999972255
FAIL: test-ffi

(1) Then I did
make clean && ./configure CC=/usr/bin/clang && make && make check

This used clang and had 87 warnings and 2 test failures

bad return from expression `(f-sum -1 2000 -30000 40000000000)': expected
39999971999; got 39999972255
FAIL: test-ffi

fail: scm_is_unsigned_integer ((- (expt 2 64) 1), 0, 18446744073709551615) == 1
FAIL: test-conversion

(2) Comments:
Many of the warnings were common to both compilers.
Based on the above tests I still maintain that the compilers are not at fault
in their code generation.

Instead I suspect something is amiss in the interpreter.

(3) Next step:
I would like to step through the interpreter as it handles the Scheme/guile
code.
Although I looked at the manual I am not sure what to do.

(4) Questions:
  (a) Do I need to build a debug version of guile?
       I note there is a debug flag that can be set. But I don't know where to
set it.

 (b) From previous emails I understand I have to run the meta uninstalled
version.
      Ideally I would like to run from the terminal and stop the interpreter
before it executes
      the byte code for test-ffi.

      That way one can look at the bytes representing the int8_t and see if the
sign bit
      is set and interpreted correctly for this data type.

NOTE: In stdint.h there is a typedef signed char        int8_t

Again thanks for the patient replies and help

respect…

Peter