Re: syntax closures

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: Re: syntax closures
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:19:55 +0100

Hi

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu 17 Jan 2013 21:51, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi all, I wanted to resurrect the idea of a syntactic closure. I did
> > some thinking and
>
> Meta: I seem to be receiving your mails with this really strange line
> wrapping.  It's been this way for a while, and it makes it difficult to
> read your mails.  Would you mind taking a look at your editor and
> setting the fill column to 72 characters?  Thanks :)

I'm using a web interface, poor me, I'll try to use a proper client
after this mail.

> > 2. The idea is to capture the syntactic environment in template1 ... and
> >  call the
> >     closure with the captured syntactic elements and insert the
> > resulting syntax into
> > .
>
> Into what?

Heh, I misstakenly pushed a send shortcut that mixed badly with emacs
keybindings. Anyway the captured syntaxes is then inserted in their positions.
There are a few caveats with the approach, see the code file in the repo for
a discussion of that.

> > (read-hash-extend #\_ syntax-closure-reader)
>
> Have you tried having your srfi-72 module export a binding for unsyntax?

I would like to use that of cause, but does it mix well with other
already written code?

> > The question for me is how to treat this code, as a library of it's
> > own supporting e.g. racket and guile and other schemes with the
> > syntax case system, or should we try to make this reader extension as
> > nice as possible and incorporate the code in guile. Is #_ ok? do you
> > have any other suggestion?
>
> I would prefer not to include it in the core; in my ignorance I do not
> see the need, especially if it can be implemented in a library.  Of
> course it may make sense to bundle a srfi-72 implementation with guile,
> but ideally we can do so without affecting the core.

I would like to be able to set this feature on per port bases just
like we do with
other reader features. Don't know to what a degree you need to do to
achieve this.
Is it something that a library can do? This relates to the previous
question. Anyway
I just thoght your thoughts and published a repo,

https://gitorious.org/syntax-closures

And I also suggeted to ijp to put it into guild-hall.

Regards
Stefan