Re: compile-rtl, II

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: Re: compile-rtl, II
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:08:15 +0100

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon 15 Oct 2012 16:05, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden> writes:

> (arg1, return-address, old-frame, program, arg2 ...)
>
> This way we do not need to copy the program field at a tail call

What would you do for 0 arguments?

I would just fill in the first argument with SCM_UNSPECIFIED or such and send information to the call that
0 argumnets is filled in, then the compiled code would work smartly and use this field for normal rtl registers.
Ayway I did not pursue this at date more than adding some flags to the compiler so that we can turn on this
feature and try it out later.

> Also another kind of difficulty will arise, many instructions only
> take a value of 256 register positions

Do you have examples?  I think the idea I had in mind was to reserve the
last two or three of the 8-bit-addressable registers as temporaries, and
emit long-mov shuffles to handle those cases.

To be frank it looks like 95% of the code will never need to think about this issue, so your approach seams sane.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/