How to debug the scheme/guile interpreter?

From: Peter Teeson
Subject: How to debug the scheme/guile interpreter?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 21:59:46 -0500

Greetings:
Mac Pro 4,1 - MacOS 10.7.5
I filed bug <http://bugs.gnu.org/13342> and Ludo' invited me to investigate which I've been doing,
including reading the other bugs on this problem  http://bugs.gnu.org/10015,  http://bugs.gnu.org/10681.

My conclusion at this time, after a number of experiments, is that the issue is not in the llvm compiler but somewhere in the interpreter.
I am not familiar with the scheme or guile languages but have been a (now retired) developer on Mac for 25 years.
Before that 14 years on IBM mainframes as a systems programmer working on an APL interpreter.

I would like to try and track down this old issue but don't know how to debug the scheme/guile interpreter.
Looked in the guile manual but didn't find anything that helped me.

Please give me some pointers on how to proceed.

TIA

Peter