Re: About REPL hook

From: Daniel Hartwig
Subject: Re: About REPL hook
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 10:59:45 +0800

On 2 December 2012 00:31, nalaginrut <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think a colorized REPL is useful for our users.
> Will you accept a patch to 'pp' for colorized REPL? Or an easy way, a
> module with hook to do the same job, but output twice?

Perhaps rather implement this as a separate, “advanced” interface.
Think: ipython vs. python.  Most of the existing repl module would be
reusable for such a task.

There are benefits to keeping the official package, shell, repl,
interface, whatsit free of unnecessary features.  Such simplicity aids
in debugging, and facilitates a clear definition of language
semantics, compatibility, portability, extension, etc..

Also, are you aware of the multiple existing packages that provide
provide a Guile REPL with syntax highlighting (and *much* more)?.  Try
Geiser [1] or Quack [2], both of which run inside emacs and provide
integration between file and repl buffers (i.e. run expressions
directly from file buffers).

Regards

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/
[2] http://www.neilvandyke.org/quack/