Re: Import your CK macro into Guile?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Import your CK macro into Guile?
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:26:40 +0100

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Apologies if I mishandled this, but the problem here is that the code
>>> had no explicit license or copying permission notice.  If it had been
>>> explicitly published as free software, I certainly would not have
>>> bothered him about it.
>>
>> There are still two errors in the file:
>>
>>   1. There’s a line “copyright FSF”;
>>
>>   2. The file says to be GPLv3+.
>>
>> Could you fix that by removing the line and stating its actual license?
>>
>> My guess is that Oleg Kiselyov did not bother adding a license
>> boilerplate that would be longer than the actual code, but that’s still
>> a bit embarrassing.  Is there an official statement somewhere about its
>> status?
>
> As I wrote above, Oleg's code had no explicit license or copying
> permission notice.  I took 15 lines of his code, which is not "legally
> significant" according to my reading of the GNU maintainers guile.  I
> then reworked the code to use an auxillary macro instead of the
> string-literal hack.  For that reason I added the FSF copyright.

OK, makes sense, since you modified it anyway (I had forgotten that.)

It just stroke me when looking at the file to see “copyright FSF” and no
copyright line for Oleg; but as you say the copyright line doesn’t mean
much here.

> I then sent Oleg a copy of the file that I proposed for inclusion
> (with the FSF copyright and the GPLv3+ notice) and asked him if he'd
> be willing to contribute it to Guile, calling his attention to the
> attached file.  He agreed in a message sent to the guile-devel mailing
> list.

I know, but “would you like to contribute it to Guile” doesn’t mean
anything in legal terms.

Thanks,
Ludo’.