Re: Adding to the end of the load path

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Adding to the end of the load path
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:52:49 -0500

Hi Noah,

Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:
> Given that the module-lookup system is fundamentally complicated, I'm
> going to suggest that we *don't* try to make it all configurable by
> environment variables. If people want full control of lookups, they
> can write a site-wide Guile init file or a personal ~/.guile.

In general, I think the idea of requiring people to write scheme code to
manipulate %load-path (and other settings) is a fine approach.  Maybe
you're right that this is better than adding a bunch of new environment
variables.

However, neither init.scm nor ~/.guile is sufficient for this job.
init.scm is site-wide, and generally only editable by root, and ~/.guile
is only run by interactive REPL sessions.  So to do as you suggest, we'd
need to add another user-specific file that is read when initializing
guile, even for non-interactive sessions.

Also, note that this still doesn't solve our immediate problem regarding
Guildhall and SRFIs in a backward-compatible way, so we still need to
support the "..." marker for the next 7-8 years, unless someone has a
better suggestion.

   Regards,
     Mark