Re: Fixing the slib mess

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: Fixing the slib mess
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:23:33 +0200

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anyway, here's another idea: after requiring a new slib package, iterate
> over the entire list of top-level bindings in the slib module and export
> everything.
>
> What do you think?

I think it sounds like the best idea so far.  I'll try to go with this.

> One more thing: ideally, any logic that peeks into Guile internals or is
> likely to change between Guile versions should be in slib.scm, and
> anything that's likely to change between slib versions should be in
> guile.init.
>
> Does that make sense?

Three problems come to my mind:

1. guile.init is really mostly a kind of interface, meaning that
changes in both Guile and slib can affect the same pieces of code.

2. guile.init is supposed to work with a series of Guile versions.  If
I now try to do a larger reorganization, I will likely break
compatibility with some older Guile versions, especially if I start
moving things back to ice-9/slib.scm.

3. I don't really have time currently to do a full reorganization.

Otherwise I concur with what you say.

Problem 2 could be solved by asking Aubrey Jaffer (or who is currently
maintaining slib) to include a new version of the file, guile2.init,
in addition to guile.init...

I'll think about your suggestions and try to come up with new patches.

Best regards,
Mikael D.