Re: Adding to guile curly-infix (SRFI 105), neoteric- & sweet-expression

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Adding to guile curly-infix (SRFI 105), neoteric- & sweet-expressions
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:57:32 -0400

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Alan Manuel Gloria <address@hidden> wrote:
> However, it leads to an edge case in Guile 2.0 where disabling
> autocompilation leads to the module-loading C code path going through
> a direct C call to the C implementation of primitive-load, a path that
> only triggers if autocompilation disabled (when autocompilation is
> enabled, it goes through a hook in the language support for Scheme,
> which uses the 'read function we've rebound).

Hmm, interesting. That sounds like a bug, but I'd like one of the
Guile maintainers to clarify that this isn't intended before I look at
it more. Is this triggered when you're trying to load a module full of
infix expressions? If so, how do you tell Guile that the module is
supposed to use infix expressions instead of s-expressions?

> I had also considered adding support for sweet-expressions in a
> language module for Guile, but this would require 2.0 (my own personal
> needs mean that I need it to work way back in 1.6) , and I couldn't
> figure out a way to tell Guile to start the REPL in sweet-expression
> language (or any language other than Scheme for that matter).

Guile versions before 2.0 don't have support for multiple languages.
The big change in the 2.0 release was the move from a direct
interpreter to a virtual machine, which made multi-language support
practical (and also made Guile much faster).

> Sincerely,
> AmkG

Hoping this is helpful,
Noah