Re: 1.8 ‘send’ bug + re-engagement

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: 1.8 ‘send’ bug + re-engagement
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>

>>  I imagine if this particular fix goes smoothly, i will be motivated to
>>  continue w/ this kind of maintenance work, where the focus is on
>>  continuity and stability (perhaps likewise showing 1.6 and 1.4 some
>>  love, as well).
>
> Hmm, I’d find it more important to help fix any issues that prevent
> current 1.8 users from switching to 2.0, FWIW.

The big issues with moving to 2.0 that I've seen expressed are
non-portability, number of dependencies, API churn, and general dislike of
pkg-config.  Since some of these are religious issues, I think 1.8
is going to be around for quite a while, since it takes a while for
people to lose their faith.  Another 1.8 release might be warranted.

Still no packaged 2.x in Fedora, for example.

-Mike