Re: Building on OpenBSD

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Building on OpenBSD
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 07:37:57 -0400

"Taylan Ulrich B." <address@hidden> writes:

> I wanted to note that, given a working boehm-gc (the next release, 7.2d,
> should work on OpenBSD 5.1, but newer OpenBSD versions, having switched
> to rthreads, will break it again), and a set of build flags similar to
> the following (these are tied to my personal setup) should allow one to
> build guile 2.0 (i tested .6) without any problems:
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/usr/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib"
> CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include"
> LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib"
> LIBS="-lpthread -lffi"
> LIBFFI_CFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS"
> LIBFFI_LIBS="$LDFLAGS $LIBS"

Thanks for posting; I'm interested, given theoretical Copious Spare
Time, in guile on NetBSD.

A few questions:

  pkg-config is presumably from ports.   So I'd expect it to search the
  ports-prefix pkg-config directory out of the box.  It does that on
  NetBSD/pkgsrc.  But once you set PKG_CONFIG_PATH, you probably have to
  include the defaults.

  Why '$HOME'?   Is that to spport boehm-gc not installed via ports?

  'rthreads'?  Does this conform to the posix threads specification, and
  the issue is just that boehm-gc needs to have per-implementation
  support that has beyond-spec knowledge of internals?  Or something
  else?