Re: wip-rtl native closure creation

From: Sjoerd van Leent Privé
Subject: Re: wip-rtl native closure creation
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:39:42 +0200

On 06-08-12 11:32, Andy Wingo wrote:
On Sun 05 Aug 2012 17:19, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden> writes:

Probably it is best to have the first qword / dword in the code to be
0 or the native adress e.g. I propose to add that feature to the
rtl-branch.
Good question!  Given the different tradeoffs, that seems workable.
Another possibility would be to use a different TC7 for native
procedures.  After all, the only calls we need to make cheaply are
native->native and bytecode->bytecode, and the rest can go through a
general dispatch loop (possibly with inline caching).  WDYT?  (Also note
that RTL words are 32 bits wide, which may or may not be sufficient for
native code pointers.)

Andy
Wouldn't it be feasible in the future that there might be, because of more memory, other designs, such as caching, which create much more closures than current designs? I don't know, but on 64-bit platforms (and perhaps even architectures with a larger bus), it seems to me that it is necessary to stick to this bus length.