Re: wip-rtl return location

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: wip-rtl return location
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 18:21:02 -0400

That sounds interesting, but I have a question - why not make the MVRA
return address immediately after the call, instead of immediately
before it? In the common case when returning to the regular return
address, that would eliminate the extra branch (although it's a very
small branch anyway).

I would guess the reason to put it before is for variable-length
instructions, but you could handle that by reserving enough bytes for
a jump instruction. So it would look like

CALL:
  call f
MVRA:
  jump mv-handler
RA:
  ... rest of function ...

I really don't know if this is better or not. I'm just curious why it
isn't arranged like this.

Thanks,
Noah