Re: Growable arrays?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Growable arrays?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:33:36 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> Scheme/Guile vectors are fixed size.  [...]  It is a bit of a nuisance
> that one can grow a hashtable efficiently and on-demand, but not so an
> array.

Although Scheme vectors should remain fixed-size for reasons I have
given elsewhere in this thread, Guile also includes a more complex
'array' type that includes features such as arbitrary rank (i.e. number
of dimensions), arbitrary lower bounds (not just 0), and shared views on
the same underlying array with arbitrary affine mappings of indices.

Guile 'arrays' cannot currently be resized, but I see no good reason for
this limitation.  They are already quite complex, and already require a
second level of pointer indirection.

What do other people think?

    Mark