Re: assembler in scheme

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: assembler in scheme
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:19:43 -0400

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, speaking this. I have a question that, is there any convenient
> way to add multi-backend in Guile?

It depends on what you mean by that.

You can add as many low-level languages as you like, including a GCC
interface, machine code, and JVM bytecode. The compiler framework
doesn't know the difference between frontends and backends (I think) -
it just compiles from one language to another, using the compilers it
knows about.

When you're actually running Guile, only one of those languages can be
executed, and it's the one corresponding to the actual virtual machine
running Guile. But you could use the framework to statically compile
JVM bytecode just fine, I think.

It would be very cool to be able to run Guile on the JVM. I think it
would really show the advantages of the compilation framework, because
the Guile VM and JVM implementations would use the same intermediate
language, with the same optimizations. However, I think that would be
a lot of work.

Noah