Re: Register VM WIP

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Register VM WIP
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:27:10 -0400

Hi Andy,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
> Likewise I can imagine cases in which you might end up with more than
> 2**12 active locals, especially in the presence of macros.  In that case
> you spill.  But where do you spill?

You spill to them to stack of course, which brings me to my next point:
as discussed in chapter 4 of David Kranz's thesis on the Orbit compiler
(highly recommended reading) it is sometimes better to store a local on
the stack, even if you have registers to spare.  The reason is that
registers must be saved and restored for every procedure call, and as we
all know, Scheme has no shortage of those.

What's your plan for saving and restoring such a large register file?

    Best,
     Mark