Re: Performance tracking

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Performance tracking
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 12:33:49 -0400

It appears to me (anecdotally) that most of the build time is spent
compiling Scheme code, rather than C code.

One idea I had been toying with is whether Guile could compile faster
if it had another copy of Guile already around, so it could skip the
portion of compile-time where the interpreter is running the compiler.
This is how most compilers do it - you want another C compiler around
to compile GCC, etc. I was afraid that this would result in a
too-complicated build system, but maybe not. Does anyone have
experience with implementing something like this?

Noah