Re: GNU Guile branch, wip-peval-predicates, created. v2.0.5-100-g59c5570

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: GNU Guile branch, wip-peval-predicates, created. v2.0.5-100-g59c5570
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:18:36 -0400

At first I thought you were right. But then I realized there's an even
deeper problem here. Imagine implementing a record mutator like this:

(define (set-foo-a! foo new-value)
  (if (is-foo? foo)
     (%unsafe-set-foo-a! foo new-value)
     (error)))

That code is incorrect, by the same logic you used: something could
change the class of foo in between the is-foo? call and the
%unsafe-set-foo-a! call. You need some atomic check-and-set operation
in order to do this safely.

Unfortunately, I don't see a correct way short of some sort of mutex.
A mutex for each record would be a lot of overhead, but what about a
mutex per class, that has to be acquired to change any instance of the
class to or from a different class? Changing a class is a rare enough
operation that we should not optimize for it, I think. Also, if we had
such a mutex, we could use it to eliminate redundant struct-vtable
checks correctly, by acquiring it at the beginning of a function and
releasing it at the end.

I'm somewhat afraid, however, that the real solution is changing how
we deal with parallelism, and that is a much bigger problem.

Noah