Re: Hello World

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Hello World
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 21:37:26 -0400

Hello,

Well, you started the right way by emailing guile-devel. If you're not
already, you should be subscribed to this mailing list. That way
you'll know what's going on in Guile. This is also where you can
discuss any ideas you have for it (if you don't have them now, you
will soon).

First of all, if you have a project you want to do, do it. If you want
to improve Guile, that's great, and if you want to make an application
using Guile, you can discover what features Guile is missing and help
us add them, which is also useful.

But it sounds like you don't know what you want to do. In that case, I
have an idea for you: make a parser for C. The long-term goal would be
to make Guile automatically connect to C libraries by parsing their
header files, but a C parser is the first step. Guile has a built-in
library for parsing yacc/bison-style grammars, and another library for
parsing PEG grammars that has almost been merged but is waiting in a
branch. You could pick whichever one you want and start with that.

I think you'll find that the hardest part is dealing with the
preprocessor. I think the best thing is to only parse C files where
preprocessor #define's are also C expressions or statements, and any
#ifdef's have the same grammatical form in both alternatives. That
should get everything except very obfuscated C, which is fine for this
purpose.

Is that a project you're interested in? If not, it's fine - there are
plenty of other things to do. It is important that you have a project
that you like.

Noah