Confusing Error Message

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Confusing Error Message
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:43:29 -0400

Hello,

I just got a confusing error while making a Guile module. I was
writing a module, and wanted to use the compile function - the one
that exists by default in the REPL environment. However, when I used
the compile function in a module and tried to load that module, I got
an unbound variable error for the name 'compile'!

After some checking, I discovered that 'compile is in the module
guile-user, so I tried importing that, but no luck. After some more
digging, I found that it's exported by (system base compile), and
importing that solved my problems.

However, I think this could have been very confusing to a new user.
It's not intuitive that a function that is available by default at the
REPL is not available in a module. I don't even know where to go to
look up what things are available in a module and what are not.

Was this limitation on purpose? If so, I'd like to know what's going
on so I can document it more. If not, there's a bug in the current
master.

Thanks,
Noah