Re: My Guile TODO list

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: My Guile TODO list
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 21:20:25 +0100

On Wed 07 Mar 2012 20:53, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> I occasionally talk about my large Guile TODO list, and sometimes people
> say that I should put it somewhere public.  Okay, here it is (not
> including my ticked messages in Gnus).  It includes some items that are
> probably controversial, especially near the end, and I'd rather not get
> stuck in huge threads about those ideas right now, so please just take
> this for what it is: a place where I record tentative ideas so they
> won't be forgotten.  Honestly, I'll be lucky if I find time to do a
> small fraction of this stuff :)

IMO it's a really great list for Guile itself.  There were very few
things that I would comment on, but they are all small points, and
anyway, there's no need to nitpick such a generosity as this list :)

If I were to add one point from my side, it would be native compilation.
I think it's what we need to take Guile to the next level of
expressiveness, speed, and good memory use.  I think we should probably
tackle the register VM first, though, along with using ELF as the format
for bytecompiled Scheme, allowing static, shareable access to
constants.  That would also produce more compact code, as debugging data
would move to a separate section.

Anyway, thanks for sharing :-)

Andy
--