ChangeLog or not?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: ChangeLog or not?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:33:42 +0100

Hello!

I sympathize with the idea of ChangeLogs as in the GCS (info
"(standards) Change Log Concepts"), and in particular:

     There's no need to describe the full purpose of the changes or how
  they work together.  However, sometimes it is useful to write one line
  to describe the overall purpose of a change or a batch of changes.  If
  you think that a change calls for explanation, you're probably right.
  Please do explain it--but please put the full explanation in comments
  in the code, where people will see it whenever they see the code.  For
  example, "New function" is enough for the change log when you add a
  function, because there should be a comment before the function
  definition to explain what it does.

I think it makes it easier to review patches, and to understand the code.

Alas, that convention is not widely followed in Guile.  I really think
it makes a lot of sense though, and would love to see us use it more.

WDYT?  Are you more comfortable with the opposite approach?
Do you think it’s bikeshedding?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.