Autocompilation/LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Autocompilation/LilyPond
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:27:52 +0100

Hi,

with the stable release 2.16 of LilyPond looming around the corner, it
will become imminent soon to think about supporting Guile 2.0.

Previous attempts have mostly exploded around the problem that we have
something like

(for-each ly:load init-scheme-files)

in our lily.scm file, and the auto-compiler attempts to compile all of
those files independently as far as I understand.  Unfortunately, some
of them contain macro definitions that other files rely on.

Personally, I think it would make sense if we could get the autocompiler
to treat the whole blob of files as _one_ unit, and recompile the unit
if it gets out of date.  That would save us from trying to factor out
macro dependencies into separate files (and since our markup system
defines a macro for every markup function, and since the macros are
needed when building markups in Scheme, this is actually rather hard to
do).  You might say that it is LilyPond's own fault that it has reverted
a bit more to macro programming than feasible for its own good.

I would not actually say that you are wrong.  However, there is the
problem of lifting a whole bunch of working code base under active
development into the Guilev2 era, and if we could tackle design or
maldesign questions mostly independently and in bite-sized chunks rather
than humongous patches moving material around, this would help a lot in
getting Guilev2 support on track.

Suggestions?

--
David Kastrup