Re: wip-threads-and-fork

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: wip-threads-and-fork
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:05:08 +0100

On Wed 22 Feb 2012 22:40, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Obviously we can treat the limited case of (ice-9 popen) in a more
> portable fashion.

I have now rewritten open-process from ice-9 popen in C, so as to be
sure that only async-signal-safe routines get called.  This should make
ice-9 popen work reliably even in threaded environments.

> Do we in the Guile project have to choose between threads and fork?

I think the short answer here is simply "yes".  A guile built without
threads may fork to its heart's content.  However a guile built with
threads -- the default, recommended configuration -- should not call
primitive-fork.  Instead, it should use open-process.  I'll add
something to the docs.

In master, we should consider not providing primitive-fork, if Guile is
built with threads.  What do folks think about that?

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/