Re: Thread+GC issues on ARM

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Thread+GC issues on ARM
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:58:21 +0000

Hi Rob,

First of all, thanks for pushing 2.0.5 into Debian so quickly!

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> So do I understand correctly that in order for this to work, we'll first
>>> need an updated libgc in Debian unstable?
>>
>> Yes.

It appears to me that the libgc folk think they're very nearly ready for
a 7.2 release.  But they're very cautious about that, and the most
recent talk I've seen is of having to make a further (but hopefully
last) alpha release first.

On the assumption of using recent libgc git source, I'm still working on
what Guile fixes, if any, are needed on top of that, for armel.  I have
a set of fixes that works, but it may not be a minimal set.

> Great.  If we can get this and the s390 problem fixed, I'll be able to
> see about removing 1.8 from Debian testing (which I'd love to do soon --
> I'd really like to drop 1.8 from the upcoming release).

Out of interest, what are your criteria for dropping 1.8?  Is it simply
"if everything else in Debian that depends on guile can be made to work
with 2.0"?  Is / should there be any consideration for continuing to
provide guile-1.8 as a legacy programming environment?  Personally I'd
feel comfortable if the answer to that was "no" - because I think it's
positive overall to concentrate everyone's mindshare on the present and
future, and because I'm not aware of any significant support having been
lost - but just wondering.

>>> If so, I'll probably hold off on the guile patch for now.
>>
>> Sure.  I'm happy that it's with me, for the moment, to propose something
>> coherent to the libgc maintainer.
>
> Could this also be related to the other current 2.0.5 arm(el|hf)
> failures:
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=guile-2.0&suite=sid
>   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10646

I don't know.  Would you like me to provide you with my current libgc
and guile changes, which give a successful build on armel, so that you
can see if they work on armhf too?

Regards,
        Neil