Re: GNU Guile branch, stable-2.0, updated. v2.0.5-5-gbf8d845

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: GNU Guile branch, stable-2.0, updated. v2.0.5-5-gbf8d845
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:48:06 -0500

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

>> Thanks for the Unicode 6.1 update!  Now, however:
>>
>>   FAIL: srfi-14.test: Latin-1 (8-bit charset): char-set:symbol
>>
>> Would you be willing to investigate?
>
> Looks like Unicode 6.1 has recategorized some of the symbols, including
> a few in Latin-1.
>
> "§" U+00A7 SECTION SIGN from Symbol_Other to Punctuation_Other
> "¶" U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN from Symbol_Other to Punctuation_Other
>
> It seems that the correct response would be just to change
> the Latin-1 test cases.
>
> A wrinkle, though, is that in SRFI-14, they call out "§" and "¶"
> as symbols.  But my interpretation of the text in SRFI-14 is that
> they intended to follow Unicode's categorization.

Agreed.

> http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-14/srfi-14.html

SRFI-14 states:

  char-set:symbol

  In Unicode, a symbol is any character that has one of the symbol
  categories in the Unicode character database (Sm, Sc, Sk, or So).

and I think that this is intended to be the normative definition.
SRFI-14 then proceeds to list the symbols of ASCII and Latin-1, but I
interpret that as non-normative, to save the reader the trouble of
consulting Unicode.  IMHO, anyway.

   Thanks!
     Mark