Re: syntax-local-binding

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: syntax-local-binding
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:29:06 -0500

Hello,

>> If we can already foresee the need to deprecate an interface, wouldn't
>> it be better not to add it in the first place?
>
> I don't see the need to deprecate them now, not more than any other
> identifier that we export.

I think this may be the key to this argument. There are two separate
questions being debated as one question. Here they are:

1. Do we forsee a need to deprecate the syntax-local-binding
functionality in the future, for instance to move away from psyntax?
2. Is this version of syntax-local-binding the best interface to this
functionality?

They are related questions, but they are distinct because someone
could believe that it is good to expose this functionality but that
the current syntax-local-bindings is not the best interface for us.

I could be wrong, but I think that Andy answers "maybe, but not for a
long time" to 1, and therefore thinks it's fine to include
syntax-local-binding. Mark answers "maybe, but definitely needs more
thought before we make a commitment" to 2, and therefore does not want
to include syntax-local-binding. These are not contradictory
positions. (Some of their other positions are contradictory, though
:-) ). However, it does make me think that we should discuss the
interface to syntax-local-binding more before releasing it (but don't
take this too seriously, because I didn't follow the earlier threads
much).

Noah