Re: Improve `seed->random-state' in stable-2.0?

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Improve `seed->random-state' in stable-2.0?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:46:04 -0800 (PST)

> From: Andy Wingo address@hidden

>How about, we extend seed->random-state to operate on bytevectors, and
>have that interface do the right thing.  We deprecate the number
>interface.  At some point in the future we deprecate the string
>interface as well.

The number or string argument to seed->random-state is not unique to
Guile.  Slib uses it, too.

The string argument always seemed strange to me and seems to be seldom
used.  But a websearch says that the integer argument is quite common.

(seed->random-state (current-time)) seems to be a common idiom that
you would end up breaking.

Regards,

Mike