Re: guile 2012

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: guile 2012
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:37:00 -0800 (PST)

> From: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
> If I could vote for one thing to focus on in 2012, for the broader Guile
> community, I'd pick two things ;-) I'd pick Guile in Emacs, first of
> all.  We have the hack power, the time is right, and we just need to
> focus on the task.  By the end of the year we could have a credible,
> attractive offering.
>
> The other thing I'd like for us to focus on, in a stable-2.0 sense,
> would be the guildhall.  There's some hacking that needs to be done
> there, but I'm hoping to get out a first workable prototype within a
> month or two, then let the meta-maintenance be driven by patches, while
> the repository of modules in the guildhall has time to grow and grow.
> Help here is much appreciated! :-)

Hello All,

I was a bit reluctant to throw out my comment on the mission statement,
since lately I've been all talk and no action.  Stupid reality getting
in the way.  :-(

+1 for Guildhall. One weakness of Guile has been the difficulty
in finding and using quality 3rd party libraries.

I'd extend the Guildhall idea by also defining a way to download and build
the various C library bindings that aren't currently packaged by the distros.
Gtk, Cairo, Postgres, SDL, etc.  I think Garnome or Gsrc could be pressed
in to service. (Or Hydra?)

(Garnome was once a makefile-based build system for Gnome that automated
the downloading and building the whole Gnome ecosystem in a user's local
directory.  GNU Gsrc uses the same underlying system, and can be used
to download and build much of GNU.)

<heresy>
Also, since so many people fear the parenthesis, I'd like to see some
simple non-Lisp-like language become a supported language in Guile,
but have it be able to directly use Guile's library functions, much
like how different .Net languages use the same library.  A Lua-like
with Guile types and access to a subset of Guile functions, perhaps.

I know that you want to believe that if your tech is good enough,
people will learn Scheme.  For many people, that just won't ever happen.
It will always be a blocker for increasing the popularity of Guile.

(Did I just propose Dylan?)
</heresy>

Anyway, my two cents.

Thanks,