A plea for local-eval in 2.0.4

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: A plea for local-eval in 2.0.4
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:43:53 -0500

I'd like to make one last plea to include my simple `local-eval'
implementation in 2.0.4.  My hope is that if we can ship it soon enough,
versions of Guile without `local-eval' will be rare enough to enable
Lilypond to eliminate their ugly hacks and simply declare that Guile
2.0.0-2.0.3 are unsupported.

However, I fear that if `local-eval' is not included in 2.0.4, then
Lilypond will have to include their ugly hacks for several more years at
least, causing Lilypond developers (and others who look at the code) to
have a rather low opinion of Guile.

I worked very hard to produce a simple and maintainable implementation
of `local-eval' in time for 2.0.4, so that we might rectify this
unfortunate Lilypond unhappiness.  It would be a shame if that work were
wasted.

     Mark