Re: Why not support (begin), (cond), (case-lambda), etc?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why not support (begin), (cond), (case-lambda), etc?
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:50:56 +0100

Alex Shinn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Alex Shinn <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> This analogy is meaningless, but for the record
>>> you should be using fold or reduce here.
>>
>> I don't think it is the task of a language to enforce arbitrary
>> aesthetic criteria.  He "should be using"?
>
> This has nothing to do with style, but performance
> and scalability.  "apply" will blow up in most implementations
> depending on the length of the list.

Do you think that we should remove the passage

     `concatenate' is the same as `(apply append LIST-OF-LISTS)'.  It
     exists because some Scheme implementations have a limit on the
     number of arguments a function takes, which the `apply' might
     exceed.  In Guile there is no such limit.

from the manual in order not to seduce people into using Guile?

Why should be try to educate people into using a programming style that
delivers suboptimal results with Guile?

Where is the point into keeping Guile in every regard at least as bad as
its worst competitor?

--
David Kastrup