Re: A Plan for Hacking

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: A Plan for Hacking
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 13:29:57 -0500

Hi Noah,

I never contributed to this thread, but I've had it marked for months
now, so FWIW...

On Sat 24 Sep 2011 19:58, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> So this is my proposal for the next several months: I work on a static
> analyzer for Guile, hoping to expand it to other languages as well.

This sounds cool.  I assume you're familiar with kCFA?  See
http://matt.might.net/articles/implementation-of-kcfa-and-0cfa/, for
example.

It doesn't seem to me that static analysis is a prerequisite for AOT
compilation -- and indeed, the current .go compilation is an example of
naive AOT compilation.

Static analysis can certainly facilitate optimization, especially
whole-program optimization, but it's orthogonal IMO.  Of course it has
other uses as well, and I do think it's an interesting thing to do.

Happy hacking,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/