Re: Minimal Guile

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Minimal Guile
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 20:20:18 -0500

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> The libguile would be modified so that the .iso or .tar file would
> never be unpacked.  Guile would look inside the .tar or .iso for the
> compiled .go files.

What is the advantage of including our own little read-only filesystem,
when every OS already provides this functionality?  Is it really
significantly easier to install 3 files than to install 300?

Admittedly, I can see how it might make a psychological difference.
Somehow, people get the feeling that a package is huge and bloated when
it contains a large directory structure, whereas a single file of the
same size (or even larger) seems significantly less obtrusive.

However, I'm not sure that this psychological difference is enough to
justify the reduced flexibility of such an approach.

Is there an advantage that's not merely psychological?

    Thanks,
      Mark