Re: guild hall update

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: guild hall update
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:00:41 +0100

() Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
() Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:35:07 -0500

   I thought about this for a while, and considered other folks'
   input, and in the end went back to the Guildhall name.  "Sigil"
   in modern days has too many connotations with crystals and
   "magic".

   I don't want to promote a "join and only then you will be cool"
   mindset, but I do think that this project is a social one: a
   tool, yes, but one that enables collective action.  We
   definitely need to make sure we avoid the the exclusivity
   connotations of guilds, but I still (erroneously?) think we can
   avoid them, if we choose the right emphasis.

I'm glad to hear that you thought about it.  In the end, the name
of a thing is not the thing, so what is important is the actions
undertaken, undone, and redone.  It is only erroneous to neglect
the change that is constant; sometimes avoidance is best inside-out.