Re: Minimal Guile

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Minimal Guile
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:47:18 +0100

Hi Noah,

On Mon 19 Dec 2011 23:32, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> I was thinking about it though, and I think there is another thing
> that is causing a lot of this "bloat": all of the Scheme modules we
> are adding.

Do you really think so?  It's more installed size, but it doesn't
affect runtime speed, runtime size, or compile-time portability.

> There is a tension here, because having lots of modules is very
> important for using Guile as a language to write programs in. But when
> it is used as an extension to other languages, most of them are not
> useful.

A point of clarification: as an extension language, Guile is meant to be
a language to extend programs, not a language to extend other languages.

> So if I were dreaming and not thinking about how hard it is to
> write code, I would get a system that lets me pick which modules I
> want to distribute and bundle them up with libguile into a package
> that can be distributed and built on its own.

It sounds more interesting to bundle up a stripped-down build product,
rather than a stripped-down source package.

YMMV of course :)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/