Re: Anything better for delayed lexical evaluation than (lambda () ...)?

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Anything better for delayed lexical evaluation than (lambda () ...)?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:47:53 -0500

> The details of the interpreter's implementation are not public, I'm
> afraid.  The interpreter does its job, but not quickly, and any change
> to make it better would involve a change to the environment
> representation.
>
> Anyway, it's looking in the wrong place.  There is a compiler too.

And since it seems to be my day to send poorly-thought-out emails,
here's another issue. Yes, evaluation should almost always be done by
the compiler. I was imagining that procedures that use the
(capture-local-environment) form would be interpreted, because using
the compiler there could get ugly. (I realize it's possible to use the
compiler there somewhat, but it seems easier at first to just not do
it.) That's why I was looking at primitive-eval.

Thinking about it now, I can imagine a sort of hybrid
compiler-interpreter implementation strategy, but I'm not sure if
that's the right thing to do here. It's a lot more complexity.

Have a nice day,
Noah