What should PACKAGE_VERSION be set to for guile-2.0?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: What should PACKAGE_VERSION be set to for guile-2.0?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 01:18:24 -0600

I now maintain the Debian packages as a branch of the Guile Git tree,
and was wondering what PACKAGE_VERSION should be set to for guile-2.0
(i.e. what should (version) return, etc.).

At the moment, I have the packages adjusted to use
build-aux/git-version-gen, but due to the arrangement of the Debian
branches, and the way git describe works, that ends up creating versions
like this: 2.0.3.2645-9ea53.

That didn't seem very useful, and I also wondered if the Debian versions
should be distinguished somehow, but I wasn't sure exactly what the
expectations were for PACKAGE_VERSION.

For example, if the format isn't critical, you could include the Debian
revision like this if you wanted to be really specific:
2.0.3-deb+1-2-f727.

Of course that "+1-2" could eventually be a lot messier, like
"+1-2+squeeze4~bpo50+1" (for a squeeze backport, for example), so you
wouldn't want to include the Debian revision unless the format of
PACKAGE_VERSION isn't very rigid.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning