Re: Allowing inlining of "rarely-mutated" top-level variables

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Allowing inlining of "rarely-mutated" top-level variables
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:21:39 +0200

On Wed 21 Sep 2011 20:51, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Then when a rarely-mutated variable is set!, the associated list of
> compiled code segments would be immediately invalidated.  Obviously,
> this would require an implementation of on-stack replacement.
>
> What do you think?

It's definitely possible.  This works best in a JIT compiler though.
It's not possible in general to associate this information with the
inlinable procedure with separate compilation, because the set changes
over time.  Also OSR is kinda hard.

IMO we should not think about this until we have native compilation.
Otherwise anything that wants to run the compiler at runtime will just
be too slow.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/