(define-module (foo) #:import (...)), a la r6rs

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: (define-module (foo) #:import (...)), a la r6rs
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:37:42 +0200

Hi,

I was hacking on Dorodango today, in a script that happened to have a
Guile-style (define-module ...) block, and I was importing pieces of an
rnrs library.  Then I needed to update the import set to provide what
was needed.  In the middle of making a keyboard macro to add
#:use-module before the library names, I realized that `library' is
actually a lot better in this regard, in that you just have one `import'
block, and all the libraries are listed there without having a prefix on
each one.

So what do you all think about:

  (define-module (foo)
    #:import ((bar)
              (only (baz) qux foo)
              ...))

Or even:

  (define-module (foo)
    (import (bar)
            (only (baz) qux foo)
            ...))

We would continue to support the #:use-module syntax indefinitely, of
course.

It looks like the upcoming R7RS standard will support these import specs
in the same way as the r6rs, though without version specifiers
(thankfully).

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/