Re: guildhall status

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guildhall status
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:05:29 +0200

Hi!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon 18 Jul 2011 15:06, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>>> I will see if I can get work to sponsor a server that we can use, and
>>> see if we can get it aliased to guildhall.gnu.org -- unless someone else
>>> would like to provide the server.  It would be nice to have root on that
>>> server, FWIW.  It could be a VM.
>>
>> I believe FSF could lend us a server or VM, which would thus be
>> “independent”, but we’d need to check.
>
> Yeah that would be nice.  I have not had much luck with FSF folk in the
> past though.

How about giving them a chance, and switching to Igalia if we don’t get
positive feedback in a timely fashion?

I believe address@hidden is the place to ask for such things; copying
gnu-advisory@ may help.  Would you like to try?  :-)

>> Since the project may become quite central, it would be nice if it could
>> be FSF-copyrighted.  That’s obviously something to discuss with Andreas,
>> but the sooner the better.
>
> If it would become part of Guile I would agree with you.  If it stays
> separate then it is less clear.  Copyright assignment is actually not a
> precondition to be GNU, AFAIK, and all other things being equal, I would
> prefer it if we all kept our copyrights and kept the code as GPLv3+.

Yes, assignment is optional, but it’s a plus for “strategical” projects.

In this case, both approaches would be OK I suppose.

Thanks,
Ludo’.