Re: on the importance of names

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: on the importance of names
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:38:43 +0200

Hi!

On Thu 31 Mar 2011 11:32, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It would be nice to add it in 2.0.x, as it's a compatible change.
>
> OK, sounds good!  I guess you’ll have to add the explanation of why the
> name’s so great to the manual.  :-)

Done.  Here's the initial text:

  4.5 Using Guile Tools
  =====================

  Guile also comes with a growing number of command-line utilities: a
  compiler, a disassembler, some module inspectors, and in the future, a
  system to install Guile packages from the internet.  These tools may be
  invoked using the `guild' program.

       $ guild compile -o foo.go foo.scm
       wrote `foo.go'

     This program used to be called `guile-tools', and for backward
  compatibility it still may be called as such.  However we changed the
  name to `guild', not only because it is pleasantly shorter and easier
  to read, but also because this tool will serve to bind Guile wizards
  together, by allowing hackers to share code with each other using a
  CPAN-like system.

     *Note Compilation::, for more on `guild compile'.

     A complete list of guild scripts can be had by invoking `guild
  list', or simply `guild'.

Please fix it to say something different if you want :)

>> But, there's no need for it to hold back a 2.0.1 release; there's a
>> lot of NEWS to write up there, and we should get that out soonish.
>
> Agreed.
>
> How about pushing the release by the end of next week (Apr. 10th)?

FWIW I have a draft of NEWS I'd like to push soonish.  Perhaps we can
release this week.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/