Re: Indexing Scheme and C identifiers separately

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Indexing Scheme and C identifiers separately
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 23:53:56 +0100

David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:

> Looking at 'Procedure Index', for example not really knowing what your
> looking for
> but presumably starting with letter 's', as a 'pure' scheme programmer,
> reaching
> scm-xxx, you'll have to hit more or less 33 times page down [depending on your
> display and browser size obviously] to 'continue' with other 'scheme' indice
> entries
> [they may be other entries, at the beginning they are *scm_]. If you realize
> you
> probably have passed and missed the item you're looking for, you'll have to
> hit 33
> times page-up ... not a big deal but it would be really nice to have 'per
> language'
> indices.
>
> If [and only if :-)] it can be easily done [which I assumed, but ...], i would
> suggest the following [assuming a 'grouping' by language but i don't have a
> problem
> if it is by 'proc' 'var' and 'type'
>
>       Indices
>
>               . Concept Index
>               . Scheme Procedure Index
>               . Scheme Variable Index
>               . Scheme Type Index
>               . C Procedure Index
>               . C Variable Index
>               . C Type index
>               . R5RS Index

I have supported this idea in the past, and I've recently taken a look
at how it might be implemented.

Unfortunately, I don't currently see a way of doing it.  Unless the
@deffns in the manual are restructured in some big way, it means that
we'd need a @deffn command and one or more following @deffnx commands to
generate entries in different indices.  That appears to be not currently
possible, and I've not managed to find any indication that it's even on
Texinfo's radar.

I'm happy to keep looking at this if people have other ideas about it;
but at the moment I'm stuck.

Regards,
      Neil