Re: Guile 2.0 eating memory on ARM

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile 2.0 eating memory on ARM
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:00:32 +0200

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the late reply.

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I think I've successfully cross-compiled Guile (stable-2.0, e309f3bf9e)
>>> for my Freerunner phone.  However, when I run it, it just keeps
>>> allocating memory until the OOM killer kills it:
>>
>> How much RAM does it have?
>
> About 126Mb NAND, optionally plus 512Mb more SD card swap.  But I think
> the behaviour was the same with and without the swap; with the swap it
> just took longer before the OOM killer killed it.

[...]

> Well, I tried once with `guile -c 3', i.e. just trying to evaluate `3',
> and once with `guile', i.e. getting to the REPL.  I don't think it got
> as far as where those two possibilities fork.

OK.

[...]

>> FWIW it runs on my GuruPlug, an ARM device, but that one has 512 MiB of RAM.
>
> If it's easy for you to find out, (i) what version of libgc are you
> using there, and (ii) how much memory does Guile use to execute `guile
> -c 3' or `guile'?

Guile at the REPL uses 12 MiB of RSS, and 27 MiB of virtual memory.

It’s actually Guile 1.9.15.67-dc20f and libgc 7.1, but I’ll try with
something more cutting edge.

> Another possibility is that the problem is ARM version-dependent.  Mine
> is armv4t, which I understand is now a bit old.

The GuruPlug is armv5tel.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
BogoMIPS        : 1192.75
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x56
CPU architecture: 5TE
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0x131
CPU revision    : 1

Hardware        : Marvell GuruPlug Reference Board
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

Thanks,
Ludo’.