Re: Guile with win32 cross compiling

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: Guile with win32 cross compiling
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 03:38:33 +0200

Mike Gran schrieb:
> > Gen-scmconfig is a code generator, so it has to be built using
> > the native toolchain. However, it is supposed to write take its
> > values from the <uniconv.h> of the cross tool chain. Thus, the
> > "/usr/include" equivalent of the cross tool chain is added to
> > the include path when compiling gen-scmconfig. And here the
> > trouble starts, because mixing headers of various toolchains
> > is never a good idea. Among others, basic headers like <stdio.h>
> > are now taken from the cross toolchain, referring to objects that
> > don't even exist in the native toolchain, causing the build to
> > fail with all kinds of strange error messages.
>
> There was a recent discussion about these sorts of builds at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2011-04/msg00014.html

If I understand this correctly, the proposed way for cross
compilation is to build the code generators (like gen-scmconfig)
entirely using the build toolchain. This means that <uniconv.h>
and others have to be available on the build system, and constants
are taken from there, rather than from the host toolchain.

In other words, cross-compiling will only work well if the
library versions of the build toolchain and the host toolchain
don't differ too much.

Is this really the way this is meant to be done?

Please don't take this is as a harsh criticism. I just want to
make sure that I fully understand this advice.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch