Re: GSoC 2011

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: GSoC 2011
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 23:28:55 -0400

Hello,

Your ideas sound neat, but there are a few things I am not familiar with.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Diogo F. S. Ramos <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What do you want to do in this area?  There is important work to do with
>> introspection, but we would need to see your ideas and your code.
>
> You can see some of the code here:
> http://gitorious.org/~diogofsr/guile-gir/didi-guile-gir
>
> The thing is: I don't know what to do. Maybe some history will clear
> things.
>
> I've started trying to port librepository to guile from the ground up,
> using just C. While doing so people at #introspection point me to the
> great port of zeenix (guile-gir), as yourself.

What does librepository do?

> I contacted zeenix and he was very kind to help me with it, even
> commenting on my commits. It was very cool of him.
>
> After some time, and talking to you, it was suggest that an
> Introspection implementation should use (gnome gobject) and the pages
> from Introspection itself says that it is a good idea to use a previous
> gobject binding, as python does it. So I started playing with it.

When you talk about introspection, are you talking about introspecting
on GObjects, or all Guile objects? (Guile has its own object system.
If I understand correctly, all GObjects can be Guile objects, but not
all Guile objects are GObjects.)

> Some more time, I thought that would be a good idea to go full power
> with the dynamic ffi, so there I went.
>
> Some more time and IRC talk, rotty introduced to me his great sbank and
> after some more talk at #guile it was pointed that sbank is the
> direction that guile should go for an Introspection binding.
>
> So, as you can see, I don't have a clear vision on what has and needs to
> be done or how. I would happily give it a shot, but I need some kind of
> guidance.

According to some Gnome webpage Google found, GLib introspection is
intended to make it easy to wrap GObject objects in higher-level
languages. If I understand correctly, you wish to do this for Guile?
That sounds like a good thing to do, if so.

Noah